History of the State Bank of
On May 7, 1906, H.C. Haugan, John W. Blee, and Charles L.
Connolly were granted permission to organize a bank
under the laws of the State of Illinois. This bank
became known as the State Bank of Cherry.
time there were nineteen original shareholders. These
shareholders started the bank with a combined total of
most of the Illinois Valley and surrounding area, the
main business was coal mining. In the beginning years,
this coal mining was the element the bank was built
John W. Blee was president until 1929. Cashier of the bank
from the very beginning was Mr. Charles L. Connolly.
Michael H. Flaherty was President from 1930 to 1964. In
1950, Mr. Burton Waite became cashier.
1964, Mr. Howard Lewis became President and Mr. John T.
Connolly was named Cashier.
January of 1974, Mr. John T. Connolly was named
President and Miss Catherine Zanarini was named Cashier.
Daniel L. Carrico was named President in 1992. Miss
Catherine Zanarini remained as Cashier.
November of 2004, Miss Zanarini retired. Mrs. Judie
Hahn, Assistant Cashier, was named Cashier. Mr. Carrico
remains as President.
An addition was built on to the bank
building in 1960. In 1973 a new building was
constructed to the south of the bank. This was to be the
new home of the State Bank of Cherry. In 1979 the old
bank building was demolished and an addition was added
to the building constructed in 1973. This structure is
now the location of the bank at 110 South Main Street.
2006 completed 100 years of faithful banking service. The
people of Cherry and of the Illinois Valley have shown
patronage, friendship and loyalty to the State Bank of
success has always been with our customers whom we
Clicking on the link below will open a
in your browser.
"click here to
learn more about the Cherry Coal Mine Disaster"
We are not responsible for
the content of web pages linked to from the State Bank
of Cherry web site.